Hi Mamabird,

For your question on how to go about testing for gifted: I took a look at your state and wanted to provide you with the following link, just in case you haven't found it yet.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/state_policy_minnesota_10024.aspx

Minnesota is a state where gifted programming is mandated: partially funded by state, but there are no set guidelines at the state level for gifted so it will depend on your district. My state, Texas, is very similar to this and each district is different. The best thing to do is to check out your district's website and see if they mention what age they test for gifted. If they don't mention it than definitely call and talk to a counselor. Be prepared to provide information on 2e because they might push the one-sided approach. There is also links from that page for state level support groups. They are usually the best ones to talk to and they might be able to offer up evidence of other students that have gone through the district that are 2e. They will also have a contact person who they work with in your district.

I hope this helps and I totally agree with Grinity that you need a medical diagnosis, especially since your son sounds HG+ and what you have described could very possibly be SI. My daughter has a classmate who could easily be IDed as on the spectrum but he is a HG+ child as well and his problems are all related to SI. He does OT such as your son and it has helped him some. It all takes time.