My DS7 (in 1st grade) has been in a 1st/2nd grade two-way immersion (Spanish/English) blend this year. The first third of the year went pretty well, the second third was tolerable, and the last third has turned downright miserable. He still has 4 weeks left of school. (Ugh!) And I think that both DS and his teacher are really through with each other. DS has been acting out in class (making faces at the teacher when she is talking, yelling at a girl during a group exercise when she was insistently alphabetizing incorrectly for the group, not stopping a science project when it was time to stop, etc.).

As my last-ditch effort to do what I could to encourage good behavior, I tied his staying on "green" (good behavior) for the last three days to using the new Wii that we are getting tomorrow. He moved to "yellow" today, losing his Wii privilege. I was shocked. He is sooooooo eager to get a Wii, I thought for sure that he would stay on green. But now he is in bed crying himself to sleep. (Breaking my heart!!!)

So my thought at this moment is that if linking good behavior to using the Wii doesn't work, I don't know that anything will. I think he's just checked out of the situation. His teacher has done barely any acceleration and when we've requested it, she's referred me to the "Hurried Child" book. So we've gotten nowhere this year with her. (I'm doing a lot of advocacy work right now to get him into a better situation next year... otherwise we'll homeschool.)

My question to you all is... Is there any way to salvage the next four weeks? I'm soooo tempted to just pull him out and call it good for the year. But I hate to teach him to just quit when things are tough... Oh, what to do?!!!

Last edited by NTmom; 05/22/10 07:17 AM. Reason: typo