DS7 (2e autism) has similar issues and during your IEP meeting, I would recommend that you ask the school to do an FBA (like Dee recommended.) With that, the school can make a behavior plan which includes lots of little accommodations that will help your daughter. DS has a specific spot to stand during PE for example. All the teachers in school must follow the plan (legally.) The teachers are required to stand next to him and confirm he understands instructions. At the end of the class, the teachers go over a short list confirming he behaved appropriately in their class. For DS, repeated positive reinforcement is the way to keep him doing what he is supposed to. Each classroom (including gym and lunchroom) has a specific quiet spot that he is permitted to get up and move to whenever he feels overwhelmed. He has a special green card on his desk that he can hand to the teacher if he has an urgent problem or meltdown pending and he is not getting answered just by raising his hand normally. (Code Red!!!!) He also has seat, feet, and hand fidgits available in each room.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. It took a lot of tries until we got it working right, and I'm sure next year in a new school we will have to tweak it again, but it is worth it!

The psychologist we go to when needed uses stuffed animals that DS turns into kids and teachers in school. DS would never talk about things that bother him, but he is able to talk about them via the animals with the psychologist. (I tried the technique at home, by the way, and it did NOT work...his psychologist is a magician LOL.) DS says, "I am not talking about S or D" (suspension and detention) yet the psychologist somehow gets to the root of the problem.

Nan