The school has finished their evaluation of GD5 (almost 6). We don't have the written report yet, but DD did talk to the school psychologist yesterday and they have backed away from the Asperger's dx. DD was told GD would qualify for Special Ed under General Anxiety Disorder. After testing, they keep saying they have just never seen a kid like her before. Nothing is firm yet but I'd like some advise on things to ask for in an IEP. In particular, GD sees everything as "life or death" or "end of the world" and reacts (over-reacts) to many seemingly little things including who she sits by, not doing well in a PE game, etc. She also has extreme fears (ie of the skeleton posters on the gym walls). We need to get the teachers to identify trigger points and prevent full-blown power struggles and meltdowns (normal school discipline methods have not worked partly because she's not trying to behave badly). Although she has been identified as GT & they finally get she needs more academically, I'm not sure if they will write acad. stuff into the IEQ since GT does not qualify here. So for now I'm hoping some of you with "high strung" kids and IEP's might have some ideas.

I'll post more about the report when we get it. Thanks for any insight.