So, my DS took the math MAP test yestday with the 2nd graders and exceeded the school's goal for the end of 2nd grade by one point. (He scored off the chart for reading, but we're not looking for acceleration there.) His teacher said his scores were "amazing" and that she would be forwarding them to the principal and the GT coordinator for the district. My DH talked to the principal a few days ago and the principal commented that the teacher said DS was starting to tune out (which I think confers some urgency) and that he should be in a situation where he can learn and actually be taught new information. So, now we'll move on to setting up a meeting to hammer out a deal for next year.

My worry, however, is that in past meetings regarding my DD, they have said that they prefer to accelerate a student when there are no other options and when the student would be in the top 90% of the class into which they were moving. I'm not sure if that will be the case with scores like that, although looking at what he shows us at home, I am confident that he needs third grade math next year. Also, this year we've gone the "enrichment" route, and it's just not enough -- with which I think his teacher would agree. Is this enough of an argument for subject acceleration next year? Would it help for us to ask to at least try the subject acceleration next year and if it doesn't work we could always move him back to grade-level, or would this confer some uncertainty on our part that we are not feeling? Should we emphasize that DS has never officially been taught the math he knows, since he has never been exposed in school to math that he doesn't already know, so that we imagine that he could certainly learn third grade math with it being actually taught to him?

I'm just trying to get our plan of attack in order before we meet. I'm definitely the one who will need to be making our case during the meeting since my husband thinks he should just skip again and he has the tendency to use words such as bored!

Thanks for any help and/or opinions you could give me!

She thought she could, so she did.