Okay, I know this is a weird topic. But I think it's part of the issue of kids who are intellectually beyond where they are emotionally. I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences.

Hanni is just turning 2, and she LOVES nursing. We are nowhere near weaning, unlike friends of mine who are successfully easing off. (I have no problem with extended nursing, but there's a medication that I really ought to go on.)

She is also very articulate about it. If she wants to nurse at night (which I don't do anymore), she will talk about it the next day. "Night, Hanni sad, cuz, no nurse." And she is clued in about rules and contexts. I don't nurse her in public anymore except for one very mom-friendly place, and when we go there she says "Nurse here okay," even though I've never been explicit about it. She also gets legalistic on me. The rule about nighttime is we can nurse in the morning, so at 10:00 in the morning when I wasn't nursing her because we had visitors, she pointed out the window and said "Morning! Nurse!"

On top of it all, she is an intense, driven, strong-willed kid. How the heck am I supposed to "ease" a kid like this out of it? Talking to her about it would freak her out -- precisely because she would totally understand me. I can't think of any way to do this without being brutal.

Anyone else been through this? I'd love to hear your stories.