Great post and something I, too, have pondered. I really think what makes a 'great' school or district is how well they test which means a lot of time focused on the state tests, plus how well they serve the masses. The district we live in is the second best district in the metro area and both the first and second districts have higher than the average ratio of gifted kids in the community. But as we all know there is a range of gifted and most of the gifted in our community is Moderately to the low range of Highly gifted. So the gifted program established in both districts are IMHO ridged because they believe they have the answers and stand behind their program. I have my doubts of their ability to really teach my child and keep her motivated. If we were going to go the public route (and at this point I don't see us doing that) I would possibly move to a more rural district because there is a better chance of teaching to the individual versus the pre-established criteria being taught at these schools.

On a side note: DD's school is a small private school and when we looked into it we asked questions about motivation and mastery of the material. They assured us we would have no road blocks and if her assessment shows she is above the material they would have no problem moving her up. (I haven't gotten it in writing) DD is in the 3 yo class and though academic since they are learning material from public kindergarten level, still not up to DD's abilities. This said ... it is all taught in Spanish so DD is being challenged right now and we are overjoyed by this but once she has mastered the curriculum in Spanish will she really be moved up to keep her motivated? I received my answer this past week and was thrilled that one of her classmates who has been going to the school full time for a couple of years and is fluent in Spanish was moved to the next class because he had mastered the criteria. With this new information I am even more sure we have found a great fit for DD. BTW, I am not looking to move DD up but love that the school is open to it IF we need it.