Thanks, Grinity and master-of-none.....

His FSIQ was assessed by an educational psychologist, using WISC IV. I don't think his disabilities impacted on his scores, other than his short-term memory - having to recall a sequence of numbers forward and in reverse. He scored average for this, but the educational psychologist said he could "scale" this result?

I am really new to most of this, so I don't know in what way his dyslexia and dysgraphia would impact on a WISC IV IQ test?

We had him assessed by the ed pysch in June 2008 (due to school-related issues) and once we had the result, we moved him from the local state school to a boys-only private school. The state school was unable to assist with his strengths or weaknesses, because his strengths cancelled out his weaknesses, and meant he didn't "qualify" for help - his scholastic attainment seemed bottom end of average to them.

The new school (we are coming to the end of his second year there) is great with both his strengths and weaknesses. He has one-on-one tuition once a week for spelling, math fact and handwriting issues.

He has 14 children in his class, so it is easy for the teacher to adapt the lesson to meet each child's needs. They have learned to seat him in the front of the class, and away from windows / doors / disruptive children. He does not have ADHD but is easily distracted.

I struggled to find a suitable educational psychologist, and eventually found one who is the head of a gifted children society here in the UK, AND writes books to help dyslexic children. BINGO! We hit the jackpot! Someone who can understand both issues and help us with them. On meeting him we learned why he had experience of both. His wife (a qualified GP) is dyslexic!

Leigh