So, now I'm leaning toward her just going to college at the same time as her classmates just before she turns 17.

Our dd started college just before she turned 17-started school early then skipped 1st. She is PG, but basically from first grade on, just followed a normal school pattern.
A few thoughts:
1) We've had relatively few problems re:age. She is 19 and a college junior studying biology. Luckily, we live very close to a good liberal arts college that offered her a full ride. She lives there, but is close. A perfect compromise. Dd #2 will graduate at 17 and turn 18 later in the fall (in college), but she is more mature than most of her classmates and will be fine a bit further away.

2) We had no problems re: dating, drinking, driving etc. Actually, dd17's friends are all serious performers and many got their licenses late because of that.

3) I can't IMAGINE either dd being willing to stay an extra year of HS. Just wouldn't happen. They have friends, they are social, they were/are doing all the usual "I'm a senior" now stuff. Nope, just can't imagine. Dd17 is very young for her class and she is sooooo ready to go.

4) It is hard to schedule. Our HS offers many AP classes (all but 4, I believe) but the issue is the scheduling. Luckily, we also live close to CTD, our community college has a talent search, we have dual enrollment, etc.. All that said, though, dd17 has stayed at the HS because she is in a fantastic music program (also takes four AP classes).

5)I've had a very positive experience and I don't think that there was necessarily a better way, but I have two gifted boys (8 and 9) and I'm pursuing other enrichment besides grade skip. I think that it's a lot harder to get them to "go along" with your plans when they're juniors or seniors in HS, no matter what their age. For both my girls, their friends and teachers always viewed them as the same age as their peers, and that can be good or bad.

Theresa