Hi All,

I'm looking for any been there done that experience with trying to improve the aforementioned.

DS is 7, about to be skipped to Grade 2, has math capabilities of around Grade 4 when last tested and will be tested again tomorrow for subject acceleration. The Gifted Services Coordinator said in no uncertain terms that his handwriting is holding him back in terms of further full grade acceleration. He does have fine motor skills issues and has just started handwriting OT. The teachers I've spoken to think that his handwriting is fine for a 7yo, but for the amount of writing required for, say grade 4, he's behind.

DS has been in grade 1 for all of 12 weeks, but socially, it's been a desert. He's a very sociable boy, but he tells me that he just doesn't have anything in common with his classmates. The teachers think he's fine (all throughout kindy, teachers have always told me he has "many friends". confused ), but his idea of a connection is for people to understand what he's saying and not just for him to laugh along. In any case, I've seen that his social group is older.

My question is, is it possible for him to improve his handwriting age quickly? He was extremely motivated to practice, which is why he's now at the 7yo level for handwriting (it wasn't last year). I feel bad that some of his precious afterschool time has to be spent writing, which he dislikes. And because changes have been slow, his motivation is ebbing. The gifted svcs coordinator suggested keyboarding if his handwriting doesn't catch up (I don't know what the time line is), but I'm wondering if that will work. Does anyone have any experience here?

TIA!!