I found this site out of frustration and endless searching to help me articulate what I need to tell DS10 teachers. A bit of background - DS was identified as GT in Kindergarten. His school does have a pull out program as well as clustering the GT kids (all 4 of them) into the same homeroom. The homeroom teacher is supposed to be GT certified but I've learned through past years that this isn't always the case. The simply don't have enough GT certified teachers for each grade level. He currently has 1 teacher for math and science and then moves to the classroom next door for social studies, grammar/LA and reading.

Ever since the mandatory parent/teacher conference last fall his teachers have been convinced that DS is depressed. Admittedly he was down last fall after a big family vacation to Disneyworld (I also suffered from Post Disney Depression). He eventually got over it got back to his usual self. Following the Christmas break he has really struggled with staying organized and staying on task in school. I think it is due to the big focus on the TAKS test (the standardized test for Texas). Last year he scored a 100 on the math TAKS and a 98 on the reading. So he isn't really in dire need of prep for the test kwim? His grammar teacher is convinced something is "bothering him." And yesterday his math/science teacher emailed me asking if everything was alright at home. I asked him about it last night and he said he was bored. All of the math stuff is repetitive. There is some new stuff but he gets it right off and would just assume that he read his book. I'm sure many of you are familiar with this quandry.

So the teacher now wants to schedule a conference with both teachers and DS as well as DH and myself. I will admit I probably haven't been a strong advocate for him. I've always just tried to work with the teacher and we've muddled through the year trying to keep him from getting too bored. But now they are trying to suggest something is wrong with him and I feel the need to step up to the plate. Any advice?? Where do I even begin?