Polly,

I would suggest that you examine closely the state board of ed's language concerning this issue to see if there are any requirements of you. For example, in Illinois, you must notify the school in writing the by April 30th of the preceding school year in which you wish to partial homeschool. And the child should be already enrolled, I believe.

We are on our second year of doing this and it's working okay now, but we had a few bumps along the way. We take out for an entire subject, which means taking the child out the same time every day and being responsible for that entire subject whether it be math or language arts.

Our best experience was when I met with the principal and explained what I was attempting to do and why and said: "I have a few ideas. I was thinking along the lines of...." then presented plan A, plan B and plan C. At that point, I asked him to see if he thought any of those plans would work out without being too disruptive to the teacher and class and set a meeting for 2 weeks later to have them weigh in on it.

I felt the approach I used engendered less of a feeling of attack and more of a feeling of a team approach. Plus, I had no idea what was realistic in terms of scheduling, the principal and teacher have that info.

They came back agreeing to the schedule I was happy with and the teacher has been amazing this year!

One objection I can already forsee with your proposal is that once per week the child will miss all the material for the day, yet at public school the teacher is going to feel on the hook for state and district testing requirements. You and I know there wouldn't be a problem, but I can see the teachers/admins maybe getting nervous about it.

Interestingly, in our case, my kids have told me that they get pulled to take all the district evals for the subject I take them out for!!! I think 2 years ago I would have been LIVID about this! But now I take it as part of the deal. Because my children are enrolled, they don't want to be on the hook if something goes wrong. To put it in perspective, my 7 y.o is currently doing what the district is testing for in 5th grade, so I'm not really concerned that the school will get concerned, KWIM? They just want to feel covered. Perhaps you can even take the lead and suggest this to them in the meeting as a fail safe for them. You can couch it as an assurance that child is on the right track and that you'd be appreciative of the evals so that you could also feel assured that the child is proficient in the area that they are missing at school.

Good luck with your meeting.