We have dual enrollment written into my DD's IEP. She attended PS K-3rd. Then was HS the 1st half of 4th before we finally got an IEP. She attended 2nd half of 4th and 1st half of fifth for partial days. She would have ELA (English Language Arts), and some specials. This year it is Art and Music, plus she sees the social worker and has speech therapy services. As of Jan. 1st we took her out of ELA for the second half of the year to try an online class because she is beginning to get frustrated with the ELA. We are yet unsure what she will take next year, although we expect at least some specials at the middle school to go along with her other services. If her online class works well she will stay home for all her core subjects. If not we will look into something else, we have left the door open as far as the PS, and have maintained a good relationship there. We now have to forge a new relationship with the middle school. (My DD even rides the bus to school the two days a week and spends a 1/2 hour in homeroom before special so I don't have to drive back and forth. smile )

It is hard doing something outside the norm. Most who HS in our area will not even use the schools for services, let alone classes. They do not want their children in the halls, period.

The other hard thing for my DD, and the reason she is trying this online class is that they get used to the freedom of HS. So my DD got very frustrated with spending 2 hours in PS on ELA, when she knew how much time was wasted. She loves being able to have the extra time.

Last edited by melmichigan; 02/03/10 02:19 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader