It doesn't hurt to ask. smile It was wonderfully helpful for me to advocate knowing that if it didn't come out the way we wanted/needed my DD could homeschool. This semester my DD only attends for Art and Music classes. For us it reached a point where advocating with this school for this child became to much and we decided it wasn't worth it anymore, right now. But she had a year of dual enrollment and made some real progress during that time. So for me that was a win. She now loves homeschooling, and we have left the door open in coming years. She wants to attend for some specials, and maybe if it's the right time and the right classes she might attend during high school, or she will dual enroll with the CC. I think it was helpful in advocating that the school knew I was willing to let her homeschool. (We also used an advocate regarding her speech services, which wouldn't apply in your situation but was helpful as well.)

I can't remember off hand how old your DS is so I can't remember if it's appropriate to ask for his input as well. How often does he get to spend time during the school day with his friends? Is it something that could be balanced with some additional after school time? There are many variables. Would a dual enrollment be something you would consider or want to put on the table?

Remeber to discuss what you are willing to negotiate on and where you draw the line beforehand. I wasn't afraid to say, no we (DH and I) discussed this and don't feel that x,y,z is an acceptable/appropriate alternative. Don't forget to mention any positives, the things that they are doing that are working as well.

Hopfully you'll find something useful in all that, it's to early in the morning with Explore testing today. smile

Last edited by melmichigan; 02/20/10 05:38 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader