Lauren,
If we are all crazy, should you be asking us? LOL

I'm sure you're right that a big reason we see more cases of ADHD is just better identification and understanding of the disorder. We're lucky that it is treatable considering when we were kids we had to just figure it out on our own. Not that my life was really bad, but I think a lot of things could have been different if I'd been diagnosed. I feel sure that I have ADHD. I cope well, but life can be frustrating at times. It's always been that way. I always made straight A' in school and tested in the top 2% of the nation on standardized tests but I never attended any gifted or advanced placement classes. My strengths were never realized or identified, probably because I was always in trouble for talking, impulsivity, and as a teenager, for being rebellious. I still remember not being able to go on the 7th grade trip to Washington D.C. even though I made straight A's the whole school year because I had poor conduct grades for talking too much in class. I'm not bitter or anything though. ; ) LOL I was so devastated and remember being completely shocked. I was unaware of how severe or disruptive my compulsive talking was. I do remember being told to be quiet (again) and thinking, "I can't believe I was talking AGAIN!" I would get really frustrated with my lack of self control.

Anyway, I hope it's true that we're not seeing an increase in the incidence of ADHD and just an increase in proper identification. I keep wondering what I've done wrong or if I've contributed in some way (other than unfortunate genetics). Tonight was a rough night at basketball. DS was completely unfocused to the point that I noticed other parents shaking their heads at him. The coach was very patient, but he must have said my son's name 400 times during the 1 hour practice trying to redirect him. It was all I could do not to cry in the middle of the gym. Hopefully things will look up when we start the medication on Saturday. I feel so bad for my son. He's really struggling. I know it could be so much worse, and I really need to count my blessings. Sorry for the pity party!