Hi Lori,
I'm an SI certified OT and also parent of a GT 6 y/o. What you describe certainly sounds like dyspraxia. I've recently noticed that gifted kids can certainly compensate better than most when it comes to issues related to dyspraxia. Many kids I see look really good until you push them into new areas of motor skills. It's the novelty that trips up someone with dyspraxia. Most kids with good intellectual skills are also really good at what we call "practice to mastery" when they are highly motivated to achieve at a task.

Who are you seeing now for a diagnosis? Try to find an SI certified OT and one who also knows some interventions as adjuncts to OT. I do Therapeutic Listening and Interactive Metronome, both of which are auditory based interventions that can help with dyspraxia. He is not too old to seek out intervention, if he is struggling with differences that cause him frustration or anxiety during daily activities.

Feel free to email me if you have questions. Best of luck. It's good to hear that your son has found things he loves. No matter what, it's most important to just be able to pursue what we love doing.