Hi Grinity,

My daughter is definitely a chameleon. This is exactly why having her in a regular classroom would be dangerous.

Having a court of law make a ruling that my DD was a "special needs child" was a big victory for me. According to my attorney, California law only recognizes a child as "a special needs child" when they are at the other end of the spectrum.

Because of this ruling, my XH was required to help with private school tuition. This solved my specific problem.
However, I think the law should recognize an EG child as a "special needs child" all the time and force the public school system to allocate, at the very least, the same financial resources to the Highly gifted as they do to the children who need remedial services.

The public schools where I live offer the GATE program (2-3 hours per week of pull out). Even that is probably not going to be available next year as the principal of the school decided that "all children are gifted" and he would rather work on a strong academic program for all (some parents complained of preferencial treatment and want their kids in the gifted program as well).