Originally Posted by Lorel
Ok, Trin, I will risk the stone throwing and say that I don't quite agree with her levels. It's nice to have a different paradigm to work with, but I feel the "sorting hat" isn't quite right, KWIM?

DD two seems to be her own person, but I can clearly see she is in the same ballpark as her sibs. She might not have any 2e issues, either, which would be novel.

Happy New Year, dear Trinity, and thanks for all that you do!

I'm glad you are throwing Lorel, because if we each pipe up with our own actaul experiences, then we have a better chance of finding the truth. I will say that the Ruf Milestones Chart don't seem to help 2E kids much in general. I will also say that my son wasn't reading till the middle of 1st grade, and I can't remember most of his other milestones because I wasn't thinking in that direction. What I love about Ruf's estimated levels of giftedness is that it helps me think about LOG.

Also, I think that any "IQ test" be in WISC or Milestones, establishes a floor, not a limit. Sure there can be a single high test that just doesn't show up in daily life, but for the most part, parents of small children what to be assured that they aren't making this whole thing up. I sure did when I was freaking out that DS wasn't reading at 4 when he knew the whole alphabet at 2. EVeryone else thought I was off my rocker! So - the official Grinity take is that if you child is fitting the profile of a Level III, IV, or V they are, and if they are not fitting the profile but you think that they are HG or PG, they the child just needs a different 'test.' In the end, Gifted is as Gifted does, and a child that is thriving in a learning environment that is designed for ND kids who are 3 or more years older, well, yes, you've got a HG or PG kid. In the very end, if the child can be taught at their readiness level, and the family can stay sane, do we really need any label at all?

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com