Dottie and Cricket,

Thanks for your responses.

The stopping criteria is typically fairly high...like maybe 6 or more wrong answers in a row. This might not have been hit, but chances are, she did legitimately miss enough to at least not hard ceiling the test. Most IQ tests have this shortcoming. They can test fairly well up to about 140/145, but they really do fall apart after that.

I felt it was likely the case, and was confused about why the tester would make that comment unless she hadn't reached the stopping criteria at/near the end of the questions.

I found out that the WPPSI-III was normed on a sample of 1,700 kids over all age groups. Not accounting for fat tailed distributions, this should only give a total of 34(ish) in the >= very superior range. Not much of a sample. (I know, Wechsler doesn't really intend it for this.)

I'm wondering if the 10 on Picture Concepts isn't an underestimation since gifted kids see connections that the test developers may not have intended (I say this from personal experience). Either way, it's not something I need to worry about at this point.

We initiated this testing to see if she was in the range to qualify for the regional HG/PG program. At this point it doesn't look likely, but that should make our lives easier (Right???).

Her 5th birthday was in early September, which is after the public school cut-off for K. At this point we have her enrolled in a private K program at the Montessori school she's been attending. We're meeting with the public school principal next week to petition to get her into 1st next year.

We just got the glowing letter of recommendation from her K teacher and feel pretty good about that. I'm just hoping that she'll receive the diferentiation she needs in a 1st class (since she's already surpassed the 1st end-of-year objectives).

I'm not sure if I should even mention the private IQ testing to the Principal. I don't want the Principal to feel that we are overboard. On the other hand, I don't want to withhold information either. Thoughts?

We'll likely reserve further testing until we have a need. At which point, achievement testing will give us a much more complete picture.

Thanks again! It's great to have people who understand.

Maryann