We generally require our kids to finish out any extracurricular that they start. They only do one at a time, so overscheduling isn't an issue, and we always verify that they are interested and willing to commit before we sign them up for it. If there was a significant problem with the activity (e.g. it turned out to be frightening; the instructor was unkind; other children were unkind and the instructor was unwilling/unable to intervene effectively; or my child was bored because I had signed my child up for an inappropriate level--no challenge/newness/opportunity for growth or my child lacked the prerequisite skills), then I would not make them finish it out. Otherwise, I think it's important that they finish. I look at it this way:

**There is value to seeing things through to the end. Eventually, most things worth having will require my DC to persevere through the dull or the difficult along the way.

**Learning to make thoughtful choices in life comes from living with the consequences of making impulsive choices (within reason, of course smile ).

**when the extracurricular involves a team or a group outcome, bailing out impacts everyone. It shouldn't be done without good reason.

**DC asked to participate in it, and DH and I were willing to spend the money to allow that to happen. We happily provide for our children, but extracurriculars are not something they are entitled to. We want our children to know that we work for the money we spend, and that that shouldn't be taken for granted. The way I see it, purchasing an activity is like purchasing anything else that they request but don't "need". Unless it is defective, it's not ok to choose it on a whim and then toss it.

I think that if either of my DC refused to continue, or if they "acted up" during the activity to express their displeasure at continuing, that would probably be the last activity for awhile. At the next request I would just calmly tell DC that we would try a new activity when DC was "a little older" and better able to finish what DC started.

That said, every child is different. What makes sense for my DC isn't necessarily what makes sense for anyone else's.