Originally Posted by Polly
If I can find the time I'm thinking to make DS2.6 a birdhouse kit with pre-drilled holes for the nails (he's fascinated with birds, birdhouses, etc). Strict supervision of course and some sort of child hammer. But I'm wavering... I can see it -- our first ER trip: "yes dr. that's right, the hammer was a gift... well yes it was from me.".

The other probably really dumb idea I have for a gift this year is a easy bake oven, haven't quite ordered it yet. Presumably left unplugged except under supervision. But then I think it could lead to ER trip #2..."Yes dr we were here earlier.....No no it's a different problem...."

Polly

LOL!! Love the hammer linked to the ER. And have to smile because the idea of a bird feeder is a recent add on for DD3.3 gifts. I looked at some do it yourself kits and really didn't have problems with the idea of them but they were cheesy due to the size of the feeders. The main reason for the gift is for her to feed the birds. It is as close as she is going to get to having a 'pet' bird which she frequently asks for!

And the easy bake oven ... are they dangerous? DD is a big cook/baker. She has been baking since she turned one. At 2 1/2 she was cooking her own scrambled eggs. Before I would allow her up at the stove I had to be sure she would follow instructions and be safe but we have had no problems with her and the stove. (knock on wood) She impresses me with her cooking skills. She now cracks and opens all the eggs with no egg shells. The only downside to her cooking so early is she is insistent on helping with everything and becoming a little stubborn.

A spin off of the easy bake oven idea: For little ones: an apron, rolling pin, measuring cups and spoons and a spatula. Let them get into the kitchen with you. Talk about enhancement of fine and gross motor skills, as well as math. DD already understands fractions as she helps measure out ingredients.