Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: NTmom Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 02:58 AM
Last year there was a string of posts on what people were getting for their kids for Christmas. I got some great ideas from you all. Is anyone organized and done with their shopping yet and willing to share what they got?

Posted By: tofu Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 03:36 AM
Their big presents are for my 6 yr old DS who is into building robots, Ollo robot building kit: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/ollo-bug-kit.aspx#

For my 10 yr old DS who is into animation, Ucreate Games & Artimation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00264XVTA/ref=oss_T15_product

For my 4 year old son who rarely gets a screen to himself but loves to watch dvds, a portable dvd player.

We also got them puzzles, Rubik cubes and classes, my eldest also got itunes points to spend for his ipod Nano.
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 06:11 AM
Bear is getting an English/Spanish laptop type thingy.

Wolf is getting a Star Wars lego something and a martial arts t-shirt from his school. (He BEGGED for the shirt... he's 5. I thought it was odd...)
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 06:38 AM
DD 3 has asked Santa for flags: United States and Texas flag. LOL she is our odd child. Really don't know where she will put them but she was very specific.

The other item she wants is a clock for her bedroom.

We also have bought her the Quadrilla Marble Railway which I know she will love because she plays with one every time she is in the toy store. I have hesitated to buy it because it costs a fortune in the stores but I got one for a steal. I literally paid $15 for one through a closeout website for designer brands. Score! I also found some other great deals on Haba brand toys.

The other big present she will get this Christmas is An American Doll 'Juanita' which we bought this summer while in NYC. Probably won't be her favorite present.

We are still debating a telescope since she is/has been fascinated with the heavens. We have a smaller cheaper one but it is unstable and hard to stay tracked which becomes frustrating for all of us.
Posted By: DorothyS Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 01:15 PM
[quote=tofu]Their big presents are for my 6 yr old DS who is into building robots, Ollo robot building kit: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/ollo-bug-kit.aspx# [quote=tofu]

I love the looks of this robot. We have done the lego nxt for my older sons in years past, but my DD7 would love this Ollo. Thanks for the great suggestion.
Posted By: MsFriz Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 01:50 PM
We got Snap Circuits for DS and his cousin:
http://www.elenco.com/snapcircuits.html
Posted By: Movingup6 Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 02:32 PM
I'm thinking about picking up the Discovery Store shark model and/or human head model. However, I am not going to buy them until I see them in person, because I bought a similar full-body model in the past and it was impossible to put together (the plastic parts did not fit together, wouldn't stay glued, etc.).

Already bought a glow in the dark ant farm. That should be interesting.
Posted By: Lucijane Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 07:14 PM
You can get a gift card to live online telescopes where you can watch what's going on in deep space. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention specific sites, but if you google the above, I bet you could find quite a few.

The one I am thinking of joining has a free trial membership (broadband is best).

Posted By: Lucijane Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 07:20 PM
Tofu,

Thanks so much for your post! DD8 loves to draw her own comic strips and has been inventing games since age 4! I am going to try your suggestion -- sounds like she will love it.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by tofu
Their big presents are for my 6 yr old DS who is into building robots, Ollo robot building kit: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/ollo-bug-kit.aspx#
This looks really cool!
Posted By: Jamie B Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 07:48 PM
My husband got DS Snap Circuits. I think he might be more excited about them than DS will be. We also bought him a telescope. He's been begging for years so I decided we'd do it this year.
Posted By: amazedmom Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 07:52 PM
for DD 2.8-

lots of puzzles- 48 piece ones, some more books about space and dinoaurs, a compass, a leappad and a bunch of books and cartridges or it off ebay, a toy electric violin, a zylophone, a guitar, and a keyboard- can you tel she loves music LOL. She is also asking for dino fossils, still looking for that...and she is getting gator golf and a puzzle of the USA that talks.
Posted By: matmum Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/04/09 11:27 PM
For those who enjoy jigsaw puzzles WASGIJ's are great fun. They are 1000 piece animation jigsaws and you have to work them out by guessing what the characters on the box are looking at.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/07/09 03:11 AM
We got DS5 the snapcircuits upgrade kit. I HIGHLY recommend snapcircuits for kids that are into science and building things, DS love them. Also, are getting him a contraption game through Mindware, qwirkle, gobblet, perquacky, a family pastime game (our first one we are going to try) a few more thinkfun games and puzzles (he loves games) and a physics workshop thing. And some science toys and graph paper for his stocking. For my DD2.5 we are getting her some puzzles, a dollhouse, and lots of girly stuff and dressup things which is her current interest.
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/07/09 02:11 PM
So fun to read what everyone is playing with--thanks for starting this thread again this year! I'm starting to get excited about Christmas--almost time to break out the cookie cutters!

We always get the kids three things: something to read, something to wear, something to play with, and this year, for a change, I am most excited about the "to wear" component! (I am not a clothes person, nor are the lads...)

You may know that the next winter Olympics are in Canada, and that one of the "official garments" of the Games are Cowichan sweaters. There has been a huge controversy here because the organisers are selling knockoff versions from offshore, rather than authentic, Cowichan-made sweaters (the Cowichan are a First Nation from Vancouver Island in British Columbia); nobody was happy about the cultural appropriation, nor about the sending-away of needed work from a historically economically disadvantaged community. My kids got interested in reading about the protests in the newspaper, and I tucked this away in the back of my mind, did a little Googling, and found a wonderful Cowichan knitter to custom-make them all sweaters in traditional designs for Christmas. They've arrived in the mail now, and they're lovely.

With a couple of nice books each, a little homemade chocolate, some new PJs made by mum, a goldfish bowl for Groucho, a board game for Harpo, and a music box for Chico, we're set fair for a happy Christmas morning, which I wish for all of you as well!

I love this time of the year! We've seen the annual big-truck light parade already, and are looking forward to Tuba Christmas, gingerbread house making, and some carolling--hope your holidays are full of fun!

peace
minnie

My kids, bless them, saw my PLAN International catalogue, and asked if I would please spend some of our Christmas money on sending a sewing machine to a mother in Africa, "so she can make clothes for her kids, too." Will do.
Posted By: kec Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/08/09 01:29 PM
Wow Minniemarx, what a great gift idea and a great group of socially conscious children.

I am more excited about the gift my DS8 is giving to his grandmoms, teachers and aunts. He really likes plants and has a collection of cacti that have little plantlets on them. We are going to give small pots of these "baby cacti" to everyone. He also had a lot of fun harvesting marigold, morning glory and sunflower seeds from plants we started from seed last spring. We made up paper envelopes and will put labels on them and wrap them in inexpensive terra cotta pots. I love home made gifts!
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/08/09 03:38 PM
I think I'll be getting GS10 a fife & a penny whistle. He is really enjoying his flute but takes some grief from other 10 year old boys about playing a 'girly' instrument. He's interested in Civil War history, and would like to get involved in reenactments. So I thought a fife would give him something to do in reenactments, it would be something to branch out with playing musical instruments, and it might seem more 'cool' to other 10/11 year old boys.
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/08/09 04:35 PM
I'm not sure I'll buy this for my DC, but I thought it could be neat for some of the really "mathy" folks here: a binary digital clock.

http://shop.npr.org/products/Binary...gaw&gclid=CKy7j5Chx54CFVw55QodUi_Nrw

I saw it on Target.com, too, but it was more expensive. I'd posted a link earlier in the year when I first saw it, but thought someone might find it useful for the holidays.

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/09/09 06:09 AM
OHGrandma, What a great idea! There used to be a neat forum where I occasionally lurked called "Chiff & Fipple;" lots of info there (at least there was when I used to hang around three years ago or so) about pennywhistles and fifes--I seem to recall some reenactors there, too, although it was largely a Celtic music forum.

Have a tuneful Christmas!

peace
minnie
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/09/09 06:10 AM
Dear kec,

I love the seeds and plants idea--thanks! I'll keep that in mind for next year for sure! We love homemade gifts, too.

peace
minnie
Posted By: Slackenerny Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/09/09 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by OHGrandma
I think I'll be getting GS10 a fife & a penny whistle. He is really enjoying his flute but takes some grief from other 10 year old boys about playing a 'girly' instrument. He's interested in Civil War history, and would like to get involved in reenactments. So I thought a fife would give him something to do in reenactments, it would be something to branch out with playing musical instruments, and it might seem more 'cool' to other 10/11 year old boys.

May I suggest showing him this clip of Matt Malloy playing the Mason's Apron Reel at blinding speed:

He's playing a wooden flute and it's pretty amazing. smile
Posted By: JenSMP Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/09/09 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by amazedmom
for DD 2.8-

lots of puzzles- 48 piece ones, some more books about space and dinoaurs, a compass, a leappad and a bunch of books and cartridges or it off ebay, a toy electric violin, a zylophone, a guitar, and a keyboard- can you tel she loves music LOL. She is also asking for dino fossils, still looking for that...and she is getting gator golf and a puzzle of the USA that talks.

I wish I could meet this wonderful child! I love reading your posts about her. She sounds like she is really something! I love it that she's asking for fossils, and she's not even 3!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/10/09 11:18 PM
This is a great homemade gift idea for those who love gardening like my mom. But my sister prefers gadgets, so I got her the newest model of Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation) . I hope she will like it.

http://www.christmaspresentideas2009.com
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 12:33 AM
Love the binary clock ideal, I'm going to get that one! DD's 5 & 6 are into experiments big time, so sceince & chemisty sets. They have been begging for American Girl dolls for a couple of years so I broke down and got those, with DD6 it had to be one that was retired and a collectable (had to resort to e-bay for that one) DD5 has always been into puzzles but this year she really wants a K'NEX Loopin' Lightning Coaster, haven't read up on that one yet, but it looks like fun. smile
Posted By: Catalana Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 01:24 AM
Our son is getting Lego Mindstorms, which he has asked for for 3 years and I finally feel confident he can do (he is just 8, but a building fiend). Our DS is getting a fairy house I built.

One suggestion for games is Blokus. This is a game you can play with your kids and everyone will really enjoy it - but it is challenging. My son can beat me even when I am trying my hardest, and even my DD who is 4 can play and have fun.
Posted By: Catalana Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 01:24 AM
oops, make that our DD (age 4) is getting a fairy house (although I suspect our son will play with it too) smile
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 02:22 AM
Has anyone tried the Blokus 3D? I was wondering if that was good? or just a gimick added?
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 02:24 AM
I bought the binary clock for my dad, sister, and brother-in-law, who are all engineers, and they loved it! It's quite the conversation piece. I could see that a mathy kid would get a big kick out of it! Personally, I never quite got the binary system, much to their chagrin... smile
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 02:30 AM
My DS9 is getting a Slot Car Race Track. I think this is great for his thinking and socially. It's so fun.

My DD6 is getting a big Barbie House. It comes with interchangable walls to redecorate and a stick on Christmas Tree for the holidays. (I wish my house redecorating was so easy)This present is also for me becuse I would like all of that barbie stuff off the floor.

We are also getting a Wii.
Posted By: Catalana Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 06:21 PM
Onthegomom,

I am wondering the same thing about Blokus 3D - I am still considering it for my son's b-day (which is only 2 weeks after X-mas).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 08:59 PM
DS5 wants more lego's, he is in love with the creator 3-1 sets. Other things he is getting are the previously mentioned snap circuits (upgrade) and Blokus.

Have yet to try it but Animal logic (http://www.fatbraintoys.com/cart/print.cfm?parent_sku=FA035) looks like fun and I might add that depending on how the other shopping goes.

For those with younger kids that love puzzles I highly recommend Castle logix (http://www.amazon.com/Educational-Insights-2953-Castle-Logix/dp/B000NNLNW8). My son got this when he was 3 and still pulls it out from time to time.

I love the binary clock idea, DS is to young but I am certainly adding it to my list smile

Happy shopping!
Posted By: EastnWest Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 09:26 PM
DS 5.5 is getting lego ornaments and a leapster 2.
http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Creator-Snowman-LEGO%C2%AE-30008/dp/B002UGIQ3A/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_b

Next year I want to set an example of making gifts. Anyone else making a gift for their ds/dd?
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 09:37 PM
We just make teacher gifts but that is a very nice idea.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/11/09 11:43 PM
This year DS is big on board games. So far I've bought Blokus, Qwirkle Cubes and Bakugan. He's also getting a set of binoculars which he's wanted forever.

His B'day is two days before Christmas. I don't ever want him to feel like he's getting the short end so we make a point to give him his very best on his B'day. He's getting a laptop this year. Since much of his school work is online and I have 7 children vieing for PC time, it's as much for my sanity as his B'day. But I have to admit I can't wait to see his face!
Posted By: Polly Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/12/09 12:12 AM
If I can find the time I'm thinking to make DS2.6 a birdhouse kit with pre-drilled holes for the nails (he's fascinated with birds, birdhouses, etc). Strict supervision of course and some sort of child hammer. But I'm wavering... I can see it -- our first ER trip: "yes dr. that's right, the hammer was a gift... well yes it was from me.".

The other probably really dumb idea I have for a gift this year is a easy bake oven, haven't quite ordered it yet. Presumably left unplugged except under supervision. But then I think it could lead to ER trip #2..."Yes dr we were here earlier.....No no it's a different problem...."

Polly
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/12/09 03:13 AM
We went with board games also - Stratego, Scattergories, Tip Over to name a few. Oh, and stilts!
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/12/09 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by Polly
If I can find the time I'm thinking to make DS2.6 a birdhouse kit with pre-drilled holes for the nails (he's fascinated with birds, birdhouses, etc). Strict supervision of course and some sort of child hammer. But I'm wavering... I can see it -- our first ER trip: "yes dr. that's right, the hammer was a gift... well yes it was from me.".

The other probably really dumb idea I have for a gift this year is a easy bake oven, haven't quite ordered it yet. Presumably left unplugged except under supervision. But then I think it could lead to ER trip #2..."Yes dr we were here earlier.....No no it's a different problem...."

Polly

LOL!! Love the hammer linked to the ER. And have to smile because the idea of a bird feeder is a recent add on for DD3.3 gifts. I looked at some do it yourself kits and really didn't have problems with the idea of them but they were cheesy due to the size of the feeders. The main reason for the gift is for her to feed the birds. It is as close as she is going to get to having a 'pet' bird which she frequently asks for!

And the easy bake oven ... are they dangerous? DD is a big cook/baker. She has been baking since she turned one. At 2 1/2 she was cooking her own scrambled eggs. Before I would allow her up at the stove I had to be sure she would follow instructions and be safe but we have had no problems with her and the stove. (knock on wood) She impresses me with her cooking skills. She now cracks and opens all the eggs with no egg shells. The only downside to her cooking so early is she is insistent on helping with everything and becoming a little stubborn.

A spin off of the easy bake oven idea: For little ones: an apron, rolling pin, measuring cups and spoons and a spatula. Let them get into the kitchen with you. Talk about enhancement of fine and gross motor skills, as well as math. DD already understands fractions as she helps measure out ingredients.
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/12/09 11:14 PM
I just finished all gift wrapping and we have many science items and games. DD11 wanted fossil books and an ipod. DS4 will get a Gears Gears Gears set, test tubes kit and legos. I also found many Smithsonian and National Geographic sets at TJMAxx for fraction of the cost of any catalog or website.

I also placed a hefty order at Amamzon for maze books for DS and jumbo puzzle books for DD. We have many car trips coming up and these will keep them occupied (along with DVDs of course:))

Jen
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/13/09 12:43 AM
Thinking of a telescope for ds9, and he asked for a laptop, but I said that might be a bit much even for Santa...
Posted By: MsFriz Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/13/09 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Mommy2myEm
I also found many Smithsonian and National Geographic sets at TJMAxx for fraction of the cost of any catalog or website.

Yeah, TJMax and Ross are great for science kits.
Posted By: kimck Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/13/09 02:45 AM
We got a box full of horrible history books today! Hooray! They are at the top of DS's list this year (along with wii games, science stuff, and a snowboard). DD actually loves the horrible history books too.

DD5 is getting the Native American American girl doll she has been talking about for months and months. crazy She is very interested in Native American history and culture right now, so we might as well embrace it!
Posted By: Catalana Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/14/09 07:13 PM
If you are looking at a telescope, I'd recommend this one: http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=classicdobs/~pcategory=dobsonians/~product_id=09804

It is a very good scope for the money, but not too big that a kid can't use it on their own. I got mine 2 years ago on ebay and felt fine letting my DS (then 6) use it - it is sturdy and holds collimation well (the alignment of the mirrors). While it is probably best for planetary viewing (and great for the moon with a filter), we have been able to see a nebula and several galaxies (and we are in a very light polluted area and are def. not experienced stargazers).

The first time your child sees another galaxy, even though it just shows up as a light smudge on a scope, and you hear what they think about that, is absolutely amazing.

It is also a great teaching tool for discussing optics, reflecting scopes vs. refractors, etc.

Cat

Orion also has some mini-dobs, which are priced even cheaper, and some may be decent, but
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Christmas gift ideas? - 12/28/09 01:04 AM
Oh, Catalana, thanks so much for the rec., I just it noticed today, but have already given an ok meade one to ds9. He didn't immediately rip into it on christmas day, but today he eagerly put it together with me and just now we got to check out a very bright & gorgeous view of the moon and a couple of planets. We need to learn more, but ds was extremely impressed with his first home-glimpse of the stars (beyond our old binoculars, that is)

Yay!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum