DS took the WISC-IV last spring with a FSIQ of 147 and a VCI of 152. The report talked about needing to select his teachers carefully and apparently his current teacher once was a gifted teacher, although in our district I think since the gifted teacher splits her time between three schools, they use it as a stepping stone to getting a full time homeroom class. We tried for DYS, but need the achievement tests since our portfolio was not enough. The district refused to do the achievement tests, they only do them if they need the data.

The class is grouped for guided reading, but I still don't think it is challenging enough. They also discussed pre-testing him for each new math unit to determine if he should stay with the class or work on a packet prepared by the gifted teacher on different math topics. I am not sure how well this is going to work out, since he is not self-motivated. I can't imagine how far he would go if he were motivated. I had (casually) asked for subject acceleration, which I will push for again if this solution does not work well.

The counselor, who, along with the principal, is one of my sons biggest fans, agreed that he has changed this year and is no longer excited and engaged. He is having him join a group that meets once a week to work on coping skills to deal with frustration and disappointment. Plus they are going to do some speech therapy for him because of some "r" sound problems. It almost seemed like they were working to get him out of the class as much as they can wink

As much as they are trying, DH and I have begun to figure out what we would need to do to home school him, or to find a different school for him, both not optimal financially, but that discussion belongs on the "what are you willing to sacrifice" thread. smile

We have a follow up meeting at the end of January. I think we maybe need to look into achievement testing before then to have more data going into the meeting.