Wow, what a timely topic. My DH and I had a meeting yesterday with DS8's teacher, gifted teacher, principal, counselor, special services teacher, and the speech therapist - it was a good group of people who all really like my son (except maybe his teacher - DH was getting a vibe from her like she was not happy being surrounded by a group of people extolling the greatness of DS) His teacher called the meeting because she felt my son seemed depressed in class - he was putting his head down on his desk instead of reading, he was not engaged in the lessons, he was crying if he made mistakes, etc. She said he is different in his gifted pull-out, but that makes sense since he has almost one on one interaction with the gifted teacher.

He is in second grade, he is reading at least at a fifth grade level (that was as high as she went in testing him) and his math abilities are way past two digit subtraction. I tried to express my concerns over his not being challenged enough, and my DH tried to make the point that the pull out program is great, but he is gifted all day every day, not just two days a week for a couple of hours.

They are really trying, but I don't think they understand the idea that if he is not consistently challenged, he will never learn to rise to a challenge. I am a product of this situation myself - I was never challenged, everything came easily to me and if it did not come easily, I would quit.