We're homeschooling the introvert, but the extrovert is currently at public school half-day K.

Homeschooling is just about ideal for DS8, particularly with the 2-day-a-week classes at the school for homeschoolers. He gets enough time with kids and enough alone time. But it would be significantly more challenging to homeschool DS5, as he talks CONSTANTLY at home, but likes the structure of school and the time in groups (even if that time isn't really social time, per se).

Probably the frontrunner for next year for DS5 is a private GT school, assuming he gets the IQ score necessary to be admitted. The only downside I can see right now is cost. the group of kids he'd be attending with matters, too, though. He would be very unhappy in a class full of rule-ignorers or loud kids. And from what I've seen, sometimes that's who this school attracts in the lower grades. It would be hard on him emotionally.

We plan to continue homeschooling DS8 next year.

I agree with NJMom that a conversation is in order with the kids--and probably regular conversations over time instead of just one. We speak openly and often about the different social needs that our kids have and that to serve those differing needs we sometimes have to do different things with them.

It also helps that they're 3 years apart. I suspect if they were closer in age, it might be harder for them to accept that "fair" isn't necessarily "the same." How close in age are your kids, Breakaway4?

Kriston