Originally Posted by Chrys
On the other hand, the religious education director of our church refuses to read it because of what she read about the race stuff in a Newsweek review. This seems like a very immature response to me. I think the book questions so many of our assumptions that anyone looking after children should read it.
I just received this book and find the information and research cited very interesting -- certainly worth considering their alternative methods.

I didn't initially realize the book was about more than the praise issue. It challenges many of our society's current positions/behaviors regarding children.

I am surprised that some people have issue with the chapter on race. I found it fascinating. There's a study they cited with preschoolers that I found very thought-provoking. I certainly don't feel the book discussed race in a "racist" way. It does challenge many people's current belief that if you have fully-integrated schools/institutions, and don't ever discuss race, then race will become a non-issue. My understanding is that the authors believe that children naturally notice visible differences between themselves and others (including race, gender, etc...) and tend to group themselves where they feel they belong. The authors suggest it is imperative that discussions about race take place with young children in a positive way in order to avoid issues surrounding racial attitudes.

I would recommend the book as an interesting read for anyone with kids.