Further to our meeting with ds's school last week to discuss his "low" MAP scores, we have several options. Right now, in the school's mind, B should stay in K for the rest of the year, no pullouts, no math differentiation beyond harder worksheets. They do reading groups, so he's closer to his level, though his DRA level is *far* below his recreational or instructional level (I'm guessing fatigue, as he read all 28 levels in one sitting).

So, this is a WWYD thread.

The way I see it, these are our options:

1. Do nothing with school and work with B at home, getting his math to the point where they'll be happy to skip him at the end of the year. According to the Iowa scale, he's a "good" candidate for a skip. Would he be fine in K? Of course. Is it the best thing for him? I don't think so. In fact, I think second grade next year would be completely appropriate for him.

2. Write a letter formally requesting that the Iowa scale be performed with Benjy, and the results adhered to. I don't know if this would work, or if they could/would come up with a reason to keep him in K.

3. Write a letter to the school expressing our concerns about the MAP test he took, citing his WPPSI results in math, possible fatigue, unfamiliarity with the test. Our main concern is that the MAP tests in a very specific way -- the questions are not set up in the way that Benjy would necessarily recognize, even though he knows the concepts. It also does not test *how* a child learns -- so a gifted learner with less exposure won't do as well as a child with more exposure to the test type. With this, request again that B do first-grade math pull-outs, at least on a trial basis, and continue considering a full-grade skip come autumn.

4. Combination of 2/3.

I'm afraid that if we drop it for now and try again for a full grade skip to second in the fall, we'll be given more run-around rather than a quick and simple yes/no answer that will give us time to plan.

WWYD? Or, ha -- W *did* YD? smile

Last edited by Mia; 12/14/07 07:50 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Mia