Originally Posted by Mom2Two
I've been working really hard with him on writing at home because I realize how much this is going to hold him back.

I starting thinking maybe I should get him an IEP for handwriting, then the handwriting wouldn't hold him back so much??? Is this a crazy thought?

I don't know enough about IEPs to know if you could get one for handwriting unless there was an issue other than just 'poor handwriting'.

For us, DSs handwriting is just poor due to not being interested. When he has to put some effort into it, he does. His 1st grade teacher used to send him back to rewrite some things because she wouldn't accept "sloppy copies". This worked for DS...he's one of those kids that if the expectation isn't there, he won't rise 'just because'. Not to say this is the issue with your DS, but it's what I know about mine.

If someone had tried to keep him from progressing based just on handwriting, well shoot, he'd probably still be in K or 1st...

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll get some great advice from the others here.