Don't underestimate the value of finding friendships within the bricks-and-mortar schooled families, too. Some of that depends upon the culture of your area, of course. In some places, sadly, homeschoolers are utterly shunned. But I wouldn't assume that's true for you until you see it for yourself. I was really worried about being rejected socially, but the vast majority of our non-homeschooling community has embraced our kids warmly. In fact, DS8 went to a birthday party held by one of his soccer friends from the public school this past weekend, and he'd have been an easy kid to not invite! But he loves hanging out with those kids, and they like him a lot. My making a point never to bash the local school system probably helps with that. I won't do it. It's not nice!

He also runs around with the neighbor boys, and parents and kids alike enjoy having him around because he's such a nice, polite, funny kid. So some of that's personality. And it also helps DS8 that he is interested in many of the same things that other kids his age are into (Legos, Pokemon, superheroes, etc.). Kids with unusual interests tend to have a much harder time socially. But they'd have a harder time socially in school, too, so I don't think that's necessarily a reason not to homeschool. I would definitely have to say that as he gets older and can run around without me more, the social stuff gets easier.

Oh, and opening up our yard to all kids has been a big help. We have THE yard for outdoor play!

As for learning styles: JDAx3, you are way ahead of the game because you're thinking about this. You will learn a lot by doing. If you homeschool, just expect the first year to be a learning experience for you even more than for your child. smile Be flexible. Always ask yourself "Is this working? Could it work better? How?" Adapt and adjust. Always adapt and adjust!

To that end, I always recommend choosing the most flexible curriculum possible at the beginning of teh homeschooling journey, because chances are good that within a few months, you won't be using that curriculum anymore. At least choose cheaper materials so that you won't feel so worried about dumping them.

Before "school" starts and at various points throughout the year, I always ask my son what he wants to learn about, and I tailor the year to those interests. It helps to keep him interested and invested in what we're doing. It also lets me make him responsible for his own education. It's not up to me to "entertain" him. That's something that really works well for us.

HTH!

Kriston