I have spent the evening reading everyone's posts. It has been very helpful.

I am trying to decide whether or not I should apply for my DS. He turns 5 next week. We have only had IQ testing done with the SB-5 a few months ago. FSIQ 141 with a VIQ of 145 (which seems to meet the minimum requirement). He got four 19's, an 18 and two 17's. The only thing that brought down his score was the average scores in the knowledge sections (both verbal and nonverbal) which I have heard is usually lower for boys at his age.

I can have Achievement testing done privately within the next few months but I am not sure if I should just try the portfolio route. My son shines in math. He loves numbers. His whole day revolves around number and math problem. He loves sport score, probability, comparing relationships, patterns. He is a self taught math whiz. I work full-time and have two other younger children so definitely no hot-housing here. smile

With his borderline scores on the SB-5 (which I believe he had a ceiling effect--some of the those 19's he actually score beyond the points even required for the 19) I am almost thinking the Math achievement tests might be beneficial (if he's having a good day, of course).

Does anyone have a similar child with similar score that was accepted? Did you use achievement testing or portfolio?

We are hoping that DYS can help advocate for DS since we live in a non-gifted friendly state. I don't even have many private school options. Currently he is doing okay at a Montessori school that can accommodate him until the end of K (another 1.5 years since he missed the K cut-off this year).

Thanks!

Cris

Crisc