Hi all,

My oldest is DYS, my youngest isn't yet. My youngest is also PG and we made the difficult decision to skip Kindergarten and put her in first grade this year, school has been in session for 7 weeks. Some of you might remember the mock letter that I got help with on this board for getting the conversation started with the school about grade skipping.

I am getting some general resistance from the teachers, just general doubt about why the skip was necessary, which is fine and I thought it would happen. Academically, she is doing great and actually interested in learning and enjoying the academics.

Socially, she is torn. While she likes some of the new kids, she sees her old K friends on the playground (it is a small school so they try to combine grades when possible on the playground) her teachers say that her eyes light up when she sees the K kids and only plays with them. Now, last year, in PreK, she was unhappy and felt like she had nothing in common with her same age friends, so this is a real switcheroo, or "grass is greener" situation. She just doesn't seem to be "gelling" yet with the new and older kids. The teacher said that the older kids like her, but it seems to be her decision to seek out the younger ones and doesn't really play with the older ones even if the K kids aren't there. My daughter told me that she is only "kind of happy, kind of not happy".

Does this sound like a situation where I just need to give it more time? This is stressful because I have the doubters anyway at the school because grade skipping seems odd and pushy to them, so with this now really adding to my stress.

Thanks!
confused