Originally Posted by ColinsMum
I wonder whether you'd expand on your questions a bit - e.g. when you say "what next?" is it that you have concrete concerns about the order in which to do different kinds of maths with him, or is it that you have plenty of maths background yourself and can happily decide that kind of thing, once you've got over your shock at just how far ahead he is?...

...The other thing I wondered is what you were hoping to get out of testing for DYS and DYS itself. If that whole process is going to be very expensive, and given that you're homeschooling anyway, i.e., don't (right now at least) need DYS help in advocating at school, is it going to give you value enough to be worth what it costs?

I think I know the order to present the math (that information is available easily enough). It all just seems... obscene, might be the right word-- obscene that he's working so far ahead. By "what next", I mean should I really let him do college math early? Do I enroll him in math competitions (most of them see to be for middle school and up)? Send him to summer programs? I keep thinking I'm an imposter or something, just deluding myself that he's good at math. Like a stage mom who is convinced her kid is a good singer when in reality she is just average and the mom is deluded.

That is why the DYS program appeals to me. From what I understand, if he qualifies we'll have a mentor who can advise us in what do with him. Looking around on the internet this past month, I get the impression that math giftedness is pretty common and the math world is full of intense competition. If he really does have a gift with math, I assume he may want to go into a profession that uses math. It appears these fields (and the universities that train for them) are highly competitive, and I wish I had some hand-holding to know how to best prepare him for it. I'm not a math person myself, and I have always found math-whizzes intimidating. Just looking at those websites makes me feel dumb. As a homeschooling parent, how am I supposed to guide my son through that maze?

Also, summer programs, college math courses, fancy calculators, math games & books are expensive! There's no way I can afford all that. I can teach him math through algebra, but we will have to find a tutor after that point. I thought if he qualifies for DYS then we might qualify for their financial assistance.

Finally, even though it is expensive, I would like him to take an IQ test because it would give me concrete data that he is indeed gifted. Then perhaps I can stop feeling like that deluded stage mom. Skipping from 3rd grade math to pre-algebra was very easy for him-- perhaps everyone is capable of it except no one has the courage to try it. Perhaps he is not gifted in math-- he simply has a mom who was willing to let him do what everyone else is secretly capable of.