Hi all, and thanks so much for your comments. I think we will have to talk to the original tester again - I'm feeling at a loss with this. And our local association has a parent support meeting next week, so I'll try to gather some thoughts from that too.

As long as she remains in this district, she will never be able to accelerate in math
Cricket - that's awful. I can't fathom why people who work with such young children would take such a limiting approach instead of always looking for opportunities to encourage them. They're such amazing little people - the whole wold of knowledge should be offered up to them.

I'm dwelling more on that story too - and it was only one of a few. He must have been convincing, because she believed them all - said he spoke very matter-of-factly about how we were burgled in the night and the police came. DS7 has never been a story-teller. Tbe manner she described reminded me a little of his very calm manner on the weekend, when he informed me that he'd written an obscene word on the side of the sofa. Also out of character.

Do you think "use it or lose it" could really happen? The boys' school has academic results significantly below the state average, and is the school that more ambitious parents in the area avoid. There are things about it that we really like, but I'm getting a bad feeling that my reasonably strong views re equity of opportunity and ickiness of competitive schooling might not be in the best interests of my children. Particularly a boy as people-focussed as DS7.

Sometimes when I am uneasy and in a situation where I have to talk (I'm a strong introvert) then weird things come out
LOL! - me too - I get more deranged the more I have to interact. I'm sure no-one believes that I can be quite rational when I'm left alone.