Originally Posted by JDAx3
I've seen the child's tests where the writing has to be better and it is. I believe that DS knows when he's got to put forth effort and he does - but if he doesn't feel it's necessary, he'll ease up and get sloppy.
I think there's been a mistake -- it appears as though you've ended up with my child.

We added a challenge to his spelling tests starting last year by expecting him to take his time & write neatly. If the teacher couldn't read a word without either squinting or hiring an interpreter, it would be marked incorrect. He vehemently objected (cue the violins), saying how hard it would be & it was no fair & he couldn't do it. And... And... And...

Lo and behold... he still never missed a word. Although, I was convinced he hired one of the other kids to write for him, because I've never seen such glorious penmanship come out of his pencil before.

We raised the bar -- and he was able to push himself to meet the challenge. He had to work at it, of course, but that's the whole idea.

I believe that an expectation is only unreasonable when the child has no chance of success, or, if he would be faced with an inordinate degree of struggle or frustration.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz