I'm replaying something over in my head and wondering if I have unreasonable expectations.

Some history - DSs handwriting has been an issue brought up by teachers since he started school. His handwriting isn't great, by any means, but I see improvement - WITH EFFORT. I emphasize "with effort" because this is what I'm concerned about. DS has been accelerated one grade and the teacher has mentioned the handwriting. She said that it's a skill he could work on and I'm in agreement. However, I'm left with the impression by some other folks at the school that it's just fine (considering the grade skip) and that having to really look to decipher the answer is not unusual. After thinking about the meeting, I'm left with the impression that some people are thinking that we put too much pressure on DS and expect too much. And I don't know why, but it bothers me. Just to rule anything else out, we are going to have an OT evaluation.

We remind DS that homework has to be legible, usually every day. I don't consider this pressure, but a reminder that seems to work for him. We've asked that his teacher count off if she's unable to read something that he's written or if she's able/willing to provide a reminder that it has to be neat (as neat as he's been able to do in the past). The reason for this is that I've seen the child's tests where the writing has to be better and it is. I believe that DS knows when he's got to put forth effort and he does - but if he doesn't feel it's necessary, he'll ease up and get sloppy. I guess, if the expectation isn't there, why would he bother especially when it's been good enough all along?

I don't expect (or even want) perfection, but I'm afraid that without an expectation of 'better' DS won't see the point - and then what happens when he does encounter someone who isn't going to look for the correct answer in the writing (because they're pretty certain it's there) because they're not interested or inclined to do so? In my opinion, it would be unfair to let him do 'good enough' without working to do better (again, because he can and has) and then have him all of a sudden hit a point where 'good enough' no longer cuts it.

Why do I feel as if people think I'm an awful taskmaster for having an expectation that DS can meet (as he's proven) when it's necessary or he wants to? I'm not sure there's a point to this, but I just had to get it out, so to speak.

Thoughts?