Originally Posted by master of none
Is your son 9? If so, I think they are still pretty forgiving at this age when kids are learning to work in groups, etc. Have you figured out why he does this? Does he talk when nervous? Is he more interested in the topic than in good communication? Is he a good listener? Is he impulsive?

Yep, he's 9 - how did you guess? He's in 5th grade now and his teacher has already brought it up. I don't think he's working in groups at the time...I mean he's at a table with 3-4 other kids, but I don't think it's group work, know what I mean?

I haven't figured out why he does it, he just does. He doesn't talk any more when he's nervous than when he's not. He's not a great listener, although his 1st grade teacher told me that he could chat non-stop with attention directed elsewhere and still respond appropriately to whatever she might have asked. He is impulsive and always has been - we've been working on thinking about things before doing/saying them. He's quick too, he jumps around from topic to topic and back again - it's hard to keep up if you're not used to it.