My child is a talker. And not just a little chatty, but a non-stop talker. He was a late talker, but I feel he's still making up for lost time. Ever since he started school, that's been the main topic regarding performance. He does great, no behavior problems except for the talking. We've tried to help him with understanding that he can't run his mouth all day long, his teachers have tried. So far, no one has been able to get through.

I always thought maybe it was because he didn't have enough to keep him busy concentrating on other things. I don't think that's it. He's been accelerated and of course, it's still an issue. He's got the gift of gab. One of his teachers a couple of years ago said "he's just got so much going on in his head that he's got to get it out". I'm at a loss as to what to do. Of course, I don't want to see him get into trouble at school, but I wonder if that might not be the only thing to get the point across. I think his teachers have tended to overlook the talking or he's had minor consequences that haven't really been a problem for him. I'm sure his talking is disruptive to others, even though he's not the only one participating.

Any suggestions/ideas for helping a loquacious child be quiet?