Originally Posted by CFK
I've known too many parents who keep looking for that elusive "giftedness" in children that are bright, norml developing children that just happen to have a gifted sibling.
In our case, it is one set of grandparents who keep prodding about the development of our 2nd in relation to our 1st.
"Well you didn't spend as much time reading with #2 as #1!" and so forth. Drives me up the wall.

I've tried explaining that our reading time with #1 was prompted primarily by him. We read as little or as much as he wanted. Same with #2, only she doesn't go for the marathon sessions like he did. I love reading to the kids and when he'd ask me for the same 50+ page book three times in a row... in one evening... I would generally oblige. But I can't possibly *force* this same qty on #2 -- it would only kill the joy of reading.

I spent my whole academic career three years behind an older sister who was off-the-charts, crazy-smart in every subject, and had to deal with a ton of comparing & contrasting from relatives and teachers as a result.

Perhaps I am a *little* cautious about attempts to compare or suggestions that we push her along. But right now she seems appropriately challenged and is happy as can be -- that's all I need to see. If she shows GT traits later on, we'll be there to help -- but I'd hate to saddle her (or us) with false expectations.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz