Ok - the book to read if you are interested in "What is IQ" "Is it biased" "Is it real" is - IMHO - IQ and Human Intelligence (Paperback)by N. J. Mackintosh.
I only got to read about 3/4 before it was due at the library, but I really really learned quite a bit and got all excited.

Personally, when looking at a child to figure out what grade they should be in - I see three catagories to evaluate a child in-
FOK
Skills (multiplication tables, handwriting, reading level)
and
reasoning ability

My idea is that if one can look at the child compared to their gradelevels in these three areas, that one will get a good picture of where they belong.

The WISC subtest "comprehension" seems to be my SD's key strength. I would guess that that has to do with his FOK and his ability to piece things together like Jenafur's son. My DS used to tease me that I should change my name to "I never thought of it like that before" since that was what I always said whenever he said anything as a young boy.

Mel Levine also talks about "Cognative Activation" as a specturm. Too little and the bits of info never gell into knowledge, let alone new ideas. Just right and new ideas flow, and old ones are easier to remember. Too much, and well, you get ME - sort of ADD/ADHDish looking from the outside, with daydreaming (my childhood name) or wild bursts of connections that others don't find useful and rewarding. Thanks SO much for being the kind of other who DO find my new ideas useful.

Also - look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy_of_Educational_Objectives
Bloom's Taxonomy. Print out a copy for your fridge. It's wonderful.

EandCmom -
I refer to giftedness as an educational special need. If that need is not filled I have seen plenty of people who grow up confused, and plenty of kids who act out or act in. Does this difference "go away." I tend to doubt it. How many of the "potheads" from my high school were out there killing brain cells as fast as they could to try and fit in and feel connected and be accepted? Certianly some. I know a few who "managed" their differnces and their OverExcitabilities that way. I used Dating for similar. At least I didn't loose brain cells. We do what we can, yes? How did you manage? Post it over on the Baggage Topic.

Smiles,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com