Again, take it for what it is worth from a random stranger on the Internet, but there is quite a bit of research demonstrating that cognitive behavioral therapy is highly effective in treating anxiety. It was a leap for our family to try it because as you are vocalizing in your post I could come up with a million reasons why it wouldn't work. But, I see now that these reasons were nothing more than a part of the anxious thinking. My anxiety was the way I thought but not one thing about that was serving to make my life better. It is possible to feel radically better than you feel right now and it is simply a choice if you value yourself enough to allow for that change.

While I certainly think anyone with elevated blood pressure should be careful to treat it, it is also important that you are treating the right problem. If the real problem is anxiety, simply taking blood pressure medicine won't really address that problem. If you have not already done so I would seriously consider trying an antidepressant like an SSRI and also other natural methods of anxiety control like exercise and meditation.

I strongly urge you to set an example for your son and seek help both from your primary care physician and from a good psychologist. Model for him that it is possible to make choices to care for yourself and live a healthier life.