Hmm...from what you've described, you presented more than enough information to show the teacher that your daughter doesn't need to repeat 3rd grade math. Why is she hesitant? The reaction you described sounds pretty negative. I would be pretty dubious about what will happen with your DD unless you get it in writing from the principal. I wouldn't trust the teacher to do the 4th grade math otherwise.

This is a private school, and on top of the fact that you'll be paying them in large part for the advanced stuff, they might be facing recession-related enrollment issues like everyone else. This could work to your advantage. I suggest that you be completely honest with the principal. Tell him that after the meeting, you don't have a lot of confidence that the 3rd grade teacher will follow through on the 4th grade math and that DD will be forced to repeat 3rd grade math. You may wish to add words like "This seems problematic for us and we'd like to resolve this issue before making our decision about enrolling DD in your school." Always, always, nail down details before you give them a check!

An anecdote based on personal experience: my DS was supposed to get advanced math in 2nd grade. We had meetings, etc etc and the result was that they promised extra advanced work, but he still had to do the 2nd grade stuff. This was a bad idea and nothing ever really happened save a couple worksheets. Oh, and we had shown the teachers his completed 3rd grade math workbook. They did what you described: flipped through it but didn't really pay attention.

The teacher wasn't into the advanced stuff idea, and because he was doing 2nd grade math in class, she didn't have to because he was still doing math. This was a huge factor in our decision to leave that (private) school the next year.

I advise getting a formal commitment from the school saying that she will be exempt from 3rd grade math in favor of 4th grade math. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for some headaches.

Just my 2c!

Val, who must now take kitties for their annual checkups!

Last edited by Val; 06/12/09 08:44 AM. Reason: clarity