Tammiane,
My dd had terrible tummy aches in preschool. I took her to the pediatrician more than once trying to determine the cause. In hindsight I realize that it was because preschool was extremely stressful for her. Though it was a preschool that taught a kindergarten curriculum it was still not stimulating enough for her. In addition, she did not relate to the children in her class. My dd was also having behavioral problems at the time because she did not know how to deal with the frustrating situation.

In kindergarten, I put her in a Spanish immersion program. She was finally challenged by the curriculum and she had something in common with the other students. Learning another language together was truly a bonding experience. They are in third grade now and a very close group of kids. All that to say, once my dd was stimulated intellectually and comfortable socially her tummy aches went away.

At the time I did not take the tummy aches as seriously as I should have. They were the symptom of a problem. I just did not understand the problem at the time. Also, since my dd was four at the time she probably had difficulty expressing her frustration. It sounds like your second grader has at least been able to identify the source of the problem. That is the first step.

Summer