It did get him into the gifted program. He has asked for harder work in the past, and in kindergarten, first and second grade, even though the teachers told me he could pass the NEXT grade easily (such as pass third grade while in second), they also wanted me to hold him back a year. I told them no way. He was testing 98,99,99 on their ISATS and 100% on curriculum based material and 100% on the IRI. They told me he needed to 'put out or shut up'. I didn't feel he could 'put out' anymore than what he showed on their own testing. They refused to give him harder work and made him repeat math packets over and over - some with the exact pages. He avoids written math like the plague. Mental math is phenomenal. However, this is a boy that loves American history and taught himself all the states and capitals in first grade by studying the globe - tricking teachers with the question, 'How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky, Louisville or Louisville (lewyville or lewisville)? When they chose, he would say 'actually, neither, it is frankfurt. LOL

I just can't figure out if he doesn't do well in school, because of variable effort/no interest in certain subjects/boredom, or if he has a LD, so he avoids certain subjects.

Any help would be great...