H Crisc,

Sorry to hear about your meeting but it's reassuring to me (sorry again) because we are dealing with similar issues. DS7 has 14 days of school left and DH went to our SST meeting (teacher, resource teacher, principal, and psychologist) last week while I was in the hospital with DS4 whose appendix ruptured. It's been a crazy few weeks.

At the meeting our teacher gave an example of a time she got into a tug-of-war with DS7 over a book and a page tore. DH didn't know what to say. He was thinking something a little stronger than, "wow, a tug-of-war with a 7 year-old in front of the rest of the class, how did that make you feel?" After a little more discussion, the principal told him DS7 couldn't be advanced in math unless it was in Spanish, which we do not speak (immersion school), the resource teacher made the "special ed students work more in English" plea (because we could supply him with more advanced math in English), the principal said no, and the teacher countered with, "why does he need to work ahead?"

I was really happy I wasn't there and it helped DH see that I'm not insane. The week before, we had a qualitative assessment and were told to pull DS7 from school because school would never meet his needs and he needs to be homeschooled. Then I ended up in the hospital for more than a week with DS4, who is now home and running around.

I'm angry about our school issues but it's better to know now than to keep him miserable any longer.

I wish you the best with your school and wish we lived near you! You are an amazing parent. I am still fighting how to handle next year for both kids but it's been more fun to toy with the idea of a new path.

Looking forward to hearing more about your school!