With two days to go until DS6 IEP for next year, the problems begin....

The math teacher that we had lined up for next year quit as her husband was transferred to another state. We got over that hurdle by agreeing that DS would do math with the GT coordinator.

The GT coordinator called me last night to let me know that because of budget cuts she's being moved to a different school and that our school is going to a part time coordinator. Further, the district is asking the new GTC not pull kids out for classes but rather help the teachers differentiate within their own classrooms. How is a teacher supposed to differentiate 3 grade levels? She called me because she didn't want me to be blindsided when I walk into the meeting on Thursday.

The other thing is that as of yesterday, the district has not given the plan for radical acceleration to 4th their blessing. If they won't accelerate then we'll homeschool, I've got that part covered. I'm more concerned as to what to do if they do agree to accelerate but refuse to allow pullouts for math? He's also supposed to be pulled out for recess with 1st grade everyday but according to the GT, they are trying to do away with pullouts completely.

I'm looking at the option of half days where we would take care of math at home but I don't even know if our district allows that. The big problem with that is that math takes place at 10:00 so when would his day start?

A week ago everything was perfect and now it's a disaster! I knew it was too good to last! Ideas anyone? I've only got two days to figure this out!

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!