Originally Posted by gomomgo
BTW...what is EPGY? Sorry for my ignorance. laugh

Sorry for not spelling that out! EPGY is Stanford's Education Program for Gifted Youth. I looked at it online last summer and decided to go with the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) program instead. To do so, we had to take a math achievement test, which was expensive, and then we opted to pay for a full year. I was very surprised to find the web site redirected us to EPGY on our first day.

CTY is more expensive and has a larger range of advanced classes, although EPGY just added more. I was disappointed that we had to take a test to get in and then no one directed me to where DS7 should start. He had >99.9% math scores so we assumed he shouldn't start in his upcoming grade. We ended up starting him in second grade math. The things he already knew were really boring and it took him a while to get used to using the mouse.

At the end of the course, he had to take a written exam. He was very frustrated to have to write after learning to use the computer. He did fine and completed 3rd grade math in March. As I mentioned before, it's a huge struggle to make him do math at night after a full day of school and homework. We are planning to start 4th grade math this summer.

A friend had her daughter do EPGY English and she did not have good things to say about it.