This forum was recommended to me by a gifted psychologist.

I've mostly been lurking and listening for the last few days, but I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 40, married with two kids. DS#1 is 6 and DS#2 is 4. DS#1 skipped kindergarten this year to start lower elementary (first grade) at our local Montessori school. (He was in the primary classroom last year.) He's working at the third grade level in that classroom. His classwork is fine, but we're having some problems with social/emotional fit. He's the youngest in the classroom and can be disruptive. The other kids think he's weird. His teacher says that he is socially isolated.

We're currently having DS#1 tested by a private psychologist to see where he falls on the scale and if there are any 2E issues. We just got his first year Iowa Basics back and they were all over the place -- 99% math, 98% verbal, 3% listening, with subscores all over the map. He also has had some issues with eye contact and verbal communication, but seems to be outgrowing them.

We think he is gifted, mostly because he's a self-taught and self motivated, early learner. DS#1 was an early reader -- sight reading before age 3, reading fluently by age 4. He more or less taught himself to read. His math skills are around the 3rd grade level.

We're not especially happy with our Montessori school right now, due to the social issues, but we don't know what else we can do. Our public school district has no gifted program before 4th grade. We don't want to home school because we think that may make the social/emotional issues worse.

When we get his scores back from the psychologist, we'll know more about what to do, I guess.

Last edited by DawnKO; 05/01/09 08:32 AM.