I envy that you have a plan, Ania. I seem to go around in circles trying to figure out:

1. Should I leave it all alone with DS's basic classes (called Honors)? One suggestion on this board was to use extra time to pursue afterschool clubs & activities, but there really are none other than MESA Club and sports (both of which he's doing).

2. Inflexible high school indicates a specific menu of classes for honors freshman. I've asked for DS13 to accelerate in English and Math, but they say No. I'm trying again next week, before semester break.

3. DS wants to take online classes to graduate early (and help make this year interesting), but unlike Ghost, we don't have a clear vision of which classes; so we're going with the graduation requirements. I have a little reluctance to do this because I want him to do academics during school and then other activities (I hate him having to duplicate math just because his in-school math is review).

4. I've offered homeschooling or prep school and he declines, but is not happy to go to school in the mornings, glum and moody (may be typical adolescence, but I think lack of challenge is also contributing)

5. We don't have a good college in town, so the dual enrollment other than online is not a great option. The community college also makes it very difficult for kids <16 without the superintendent's endorsement.

6. DS13 has a group of good friends at school and I worry he's holding back because of them. The kids are mod. gifted, and his best friend is failing 2 classes. He's a great kid, but I want DS to be pushed ahead, motivated, driven by friends rather than downplaying his grades to be cool.

Thanks for listening to me vent...I do want to point out that DS does not recommend EPGY specically because it's dry and too independent, but it is advanced, thorough and taught him the material very well.

Gotta go--Cym

Last edited by cym; 11/16/07 05:24 PM.