Cym - Thanx for your suggestions:)
Here is my thinking for today, as of course it changes day to day as I am finding out new things.
I wrote in another post that Ghost is trying to work ahead in his
Algebra 2 book during math. His teacher said OK as long as he is able to "pass' the tests she is giving to the rest of the class.
So he is working ahead, asking teacher for explanations of things that are not clear. He assigns himself homework and then corrects it by self (???). LOL, of course my husband will have to have a good look into what he is really doing. It will happen this weekend. Ghost has been instructed to bring all of his math work home today.I think that he is honestly working ahead, maybe not all the time and every day, but considering how slow the rest of the class is doing...
Nice to hear that EPGY Pre-Calc class is only one semester. Is EPGY self paced? We were thinking about having Ghost complete both Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc this year and then tackle AP Calculus BC while he is in 8th grade. But I see several problems in this approach. For ones, there will be no math classes for him in the HS if he comes with AP Calc under his belt. He would have to start taking Univeristy courses his freshman year. And I think it will be too much. I am thinking about transition to HS, close to an hour commute one way (I hope it will be more like 40 min. but we don't know yet, as the train does not start running until spring 2008). I don't won't to throw either early morning or evening university class at him his first year of HS. I would be more than happy to have him do Algebra 2 for the entire school year and then add some problem solving classes. Unfortunately AOPS classes are not one-on-one, you have to be in front of the computer at the specific time of a specific day.
Right now he takes Introduction to Counting and Probability on Mondays and he absolutely loves it, it is an excellent level for him and he does not feel overwhelmed. He has already taken several classes from AOPS before but this seems to be the best fit. We plan on having him take their classes all along.
As for computer leraning options during school, we have Utah Electronic HS http://www.schools.utah.gov/ehs/
or BYU http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/. I thinkg both of these are self paced.
In science , he is trying to cover 7 and 8 grade curriculum this year and then do HS physics next year during science, proably also based off the internet. But if we do that he will be starting HS with two AP courses on his plate - Calculus and Physics and I don't know how easy it will be for him to handle both.
Anyone has any advice on how to handle this?