As some of you may remember, we are in the lucky position of having a very supportive Head who understands our DS6 (almost 7)incredibly well and she really is trying her best for him. We had a meeting with her regarding next year for DS, and she has suggested grade skipping him by one grade(with the decision up to me and DH).

DH and I are nervous about skipping him, but also we think that it wont be enough because DS seems very advanced and we have been told that it is across the board and not in any particular subject. Skipping a grade in the UK is not common and I certainly don't know if skipping 2 grades is even possible, but I am not certain if there is any point in putting DS through all this upheaval and then it still isn't enough. Would it be better to (a) leave him as is or (b) request a 2 grade skip. But a 2 grade skip will create a huge difference in age (my DS is a younger one in his year anyway)and that in itself may prove challenging in the teenage years - but will a 1 grade skip be just as bad? Help, I am so confused and I know that there is no right or wrong answer (probably just with hindsight!).

DS is a sensitive boy and is quite mature and does enjoy being around older children. I think that he will have more in common with them, but unfortunately he does enjoy his sports so that will suffer as he wont be able to compete against children so much older. I also don't want the school to think that we are being pushy and asking for a 2 grade skip - I'm still not even sure it makes sense (as you can tell), but I just feel that if it is likely to happen in the future surely it is best to get it out of the way so that he can settle down and get to know a year group. Am I placing too much emphasis on this? DS gets on ok with other children although he doesn't have any special friends and certainly is not a fan of recess - I think that he plays football with the other kids to pass the time.

Does anyone have experience of this? How have age differences been managed with things like sport? What happens when all the other kids are going through puberty and your child isn't? I think that this will still be an issue even with a one grade skip.

Sorry this post is all over the place, I am very confused!

X Tiz